You will be responsible for:
- Leading a team which manages finance operations including accounts preparation, balance sheet reconciliations and asset management, providing review to assure the quality of the numbers.
- Representing HSE as one of the leads of the project to replace the current HR and Finance system (as part of a cross-government initiative).
- Reviewing our processes and suggesting improvements to ensure that that the control framework is determined and documented, and aligns with government expectations, including Finance Global Design Principles and the Government Functional Standard: Finance
- Leading and overseeing production of the annual financial statements for inclusion within the Annual Report and Accounts.
- Overseeing all stages of the external audit and leading on liaison with National Audit Office, including preparedness for each of the audits (of people across HSE and the evidence we expect to provide).
- Maintaining HSE’s Accounting Policies, reviewing and implementing new accounting standards. This includes liaison with colleagues across the organisation both within and beyond Finance.
- Reviewing, maintaining and refreshing accounting and related guidance
- Ensuring members of the team have a suitable understanding of their learning and development requirements (supporting training needs analysis) and providing training (to Finance colleagues and beyond) as appropriate,
- Acting as mentor to (some of) our trainee accountants to give them the best possible start to their career and support their further development.
- Management of VAT position, submission of returns and advice and guidance to colleagues
- Providing updates to Audit, Risk and Assurance Committee.
- Reporting financial information that is clear and understandable to colleagues of varying levels of financial literacy.
You will be highly motivated and proactive and will strive to continuously improve the service we provide the organisation.
In-depth knowledge and experience of working in a fast-paced finance environment and in particular a financial reporting role.