Natural England has an important role in enabling local authorities and other plan-makers to embed nature into a range of place-based plans. You will work with Area Team staff and partners to progress sustainable development and recovery of nature in Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire.
As a Sustainable Development Lead Adviser, you will work alongside regulators and stakeholders to integrate the needs of biodiversity and landscape within local planning. You will provide early, effective advice and evidence to our customers e.g. Local Planning Authorities, Environment Agency, Marine Management Organisation, developers and their consultants, enabling plans to be developed that deliver sustainable economic growth, recovering our costs wherever possible through chargeable services.
This is a challenging and rewarding role that provides great opportunities to develop the full range of key capabilities in support of your personal development
- The core function of the role will be responding, within statutory deadlines, to consultations including planning applications and local plans, in line with Natural England’s professional and customer service standards, adding value to achieve the best possible outcomes for the environment.
- The second core function of the role will be identifying and taking up opportunities for income generation through our Discretionary Advice Service, including commencing discussions with potential customers to gauge interest and securing agreements, preparing customer contracts and delivering the services specified;
- Provide clear, pragmatic, evidence-based advice to partners, customers and colleagues on a wide range of sustainable development issues and achieve solutions that comply with policy and legislation and result in positive environmental outcomes;
- Participate in relevant internal networks to ensure personal development and the timely exchange of information and best practice and identifying more effective ways of working through collating lessons learned;
- Using knowledge and skills consistently and flexibly to support the team’s work. Supporting managers by showing leadership, initiative and sharing expertise with others;
- Working with a range of partners, customers and colleagues to ensure excellent customer service at all times, and to increase efficiency, effectiveness and consistency;